How Do I Know What to Throw Out?
All porous or semi-porous items with visible mold growth should be disposed of. If the items are of particular value special techniques for cleansing will come into play (Dry Ice, Ozone, Pasteurization, etc.). For paper items, it may be more cost effective to make copies of the contaminated items and discard the originals.
Frequently Asked Questions
Many times moisture makes its way into the wall cavity and stimulates molds to grow. Given time they will start to “Bleed Through” the outside wall and at first look like a small dark area. If the moisture source is not obvious, further investigation by a pro is recommended.
Cleaning mold often does not address what is causing the mold to grow in the first place. And that’s what we call the “Moisture Trigger.” While we often think of moisture as a “puddle,” in this case, molds don’t like puddles; they like elevated humidity, which is hard to detect on your own. Better call a mold pro.
Scrubbing molded areas with a detergent and water and then drying the area thoroughly often works for small areas of mold. Using bleach is not recommended as it may cause more harm than good. But there are instances where using a Biocide may be called for.
First, was the moisture intrusion source(s) corrected? If moisture is under control, a Clearance Test should be performed, which is a combination of factors that include a visual inspection, review of remediation protocol, sampling, etc. Only then can you get a good idea if the area was properly brought back to normal fungal ecology.
It’s always a good idea to be well informed going into your home’s sale. Having an inspection done yourself is a good way to pinpoint potential issues and be prepared for buyer's concerns.
GreenWorks Environmental is Trusted & Certified
What People Are Saying About Us
Have Contents Worth Saving?
GreenWorks is experienced at restoring and cleansing every part of your environment.