Mold removal is something we have all dealt with at least at some point in our lives. Only the rarest amongst us will not have seen those stomach-turning, colored organisms growing on the leftovers in our refrigerator. Luckily, the mold on food is easy to deal with; toss the leftovers into the trash, and you will be good to go. It is the mold growing inside your basement, attic, or rooms that present the bigger danger.
Why the Mold in Home Cannot Be Overlooked
Mold is more than a nuisance. It spreads quickly, jeopardizes your health, and may point to a more severe issue with your building’s structure.
While the mold in your basement might not seem like an urgent problem today, under ideal conditions “it can take mold less than three days to transform itself from ‘barely detectable’ into a source of pungent smells and sickening viruses.” Warm and damp areas without proper ventilation are a hotbed for mold.
Jeopardizes Your Health
Mold is anything but harmless. Exposure to black mold spores on a daily basis leaves you vulnerable to several health issues, such as mild allergy, irritation in the eyes, respiratory issues, fatigue, and an ache in your muscles.
Suggests a More Serious Issue
Mold does not appear out of a vacuum. If you spot it inside your home, you can be all but sure that conditions exist for mold to develop. Those conditions can be excessive moisture, the presence of soil, meal leftovers, and high temperature. A mold inspection by a professional can identify the real issue.
Mold removal is essential to address deeper underlying issues in the structure of your house and improve your and your family’s well-being. But how do you go about it?
You can clean mold yourself using bleach, vinegar, ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, or other chemicals. As if handling those chemicals wasn’t risky in itself, mold fumes can be fatal, especially in closed spaces, such as your basement or attic.
Mold Removal Facts
A safer alternative is to hire a contractor. You will find Mold Remediation Contractor Hiring Tips handy if you have never paid a mold removal contractor before.
Whether you are doing it yourself or hiring a professional for the job, knowing these six facts about mold removal will help avoid any ugly surprises.
- Mold is Generally Invisible. Don’t let the little bit of mold you have just seen fool you into believing that removal will be a simple process. It will not be because mold generally hides in wet and dark places, where it can grow for years without ever coming into notice.
- Mold Should be Removed Quickly. Mold can grow quickly. It can cover your walls and other surfaces within a matter of days. The problem is especially acute during rain, and in areas where humidity is high year around. Your HVAC, condensers, and leaking pipes can also be a source. Whatever the cause, professional remediation has to be started quickly to keep harmful fumes and expenses in check.
- A Spray Down Is Never Enough. A lot of homeowners think that the removal process is little more than spraying bleach or another chemical onto the mold. Reality is different. In fact, chemical spraying provides little relief, especially in more serious situations. The proper process involves locating mold and isolating it before removal, and the whole thing usually takes longer than an afternoon.
- Mold Removal from Porous Materials Damages Them. Because mold entrenches itself deep into the surface, it is on, removing it is particularly difficult from porous surfaces, such as wood and fabric. Sometimes, even plaster and concrete may prove to be a big hurdle.
- Some Molds Are Toxic. Several kinds of molds infect homes and offices. Some of them are more dangerous than others. The most common of toxic molds is Stachybotrys, more popular by its other name, Black Mold. Removing it should definitely be left to professionals. Other toxic molds are Aspergillus, Fusarium, paecilomyces, Penicillium, and Trichoderma.
- Effective Removal Prevents Recurrence. The primary reason for calling experts, besides safety, is their ability to inhibit mold from recurring. Even a few dead mold cells hanging in the air are sufficient to seed a new generation of mold and become a danger to you and your loved ones’ health. An expert at mold removal will ensure that all mold cells have been removed, and your home is protected from a recurrence.
The mold inside your home is a serious problem that can only be overlooked at the risk of your health. Do not do that. Turn to GreenWorks for expert mold removal if you are in New Jersey. The company has the best talent in the state for dealing with all types of mold, and of highest severity. Contact them to make your home or office safe once more.